Friday, May 11, 2012


Kami Kalandjian
Ms. Reynolds
English 113B
9 May 2012
                                                            In ‘N Out

            For my Project Space, I went to In ‘N Out, one of the greatest fast food restaurants on the West Coast.  In ‘N Out was established in 1948 and opened its first restaurant in Baldwin Park. They became the first drive through restaurant in California after Harry Snyder, the founder of In ‘N Out, introduced a two way speaker box.
I have known about In ‘N Out for a long time, but never really ate there at first because I didn’t like ground beef until a few years ago. I usually go to the drive through, but this time I decided to go inside and eat.  I went a little later after lunchtime because I know it is always packed from 12:00 to 2:00 pm. I arrived at around 2:00 - 2:30 pm. The first thing that caught my attention as I got out the car was the delicious smell of those freshly peeled and cut French fries. I felt like the aromas of the French fries were tickling my nose.  I looked at the building as a whole and noticed it was very clean.  A simple peach color was used to cover the building and the bottom half of the building it had stacks of red bricks. The colors also complemented the In ‘N Out sign on the building. I also noticed the drive through was perfectly placed around the building for the amount of space they had to design the structure. 
            I opened the door and all the smells inside hit me like a bag of potatoes.  I held the door open for my sister and then I walked in.  The next thing I noticed was the cleanliness of the white walls.  The company’s motto is, “Give customers the freshest, highest quality foods you can buy and provide them with friendly service in a sparkling clean environment” (In ‘N Out). That is a lot to keep up with, but I see they have a check mark on the “clean environment” part.  Let us see if they have checks on the other parts as well. I walked towards the register and there were a couple people standing in line in front on me and at this point I was debating on how hungry I was.  I came up with a decision and I was really hungry. As I walked up to the register and the cashier asked me what I would like to eat.  I ordered a double double with no tomatoes, grilled onions, fries and a drink and then I let my sister order want she wanted.  The cashier was very kind to us so I will give them another check for the “friendly service.”
            The cashier gave us our change and our cups.  The cups felt like there were sturdy and made out of high quality material.  The cups were also white with red stripes and had palm trees all along the top. It was a simple, but classic look. Underneath the cup it said, “John 3:16,” which is a Bible verse that says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).  I did a little research and found out the Snyder family, who own In ‘N Out, is a religious family and they own In ‘N Out as a private company which lets them put whatever they want on the food packaging. We went to fill up our cups and the fountain drinks were placed directly to the right of the cashier to make it convenient for the customer and also to save space.  I filled my cup with Coke and my sister got Diet Coke.  I always yell at her for getting diet coke, but she doesn’t care.  We sat down at a booth and realized that it was pretty comfortable for a chair at a fast food restaurant. Then I started looking around and I noticed some pictures on the wall that had classic muscle cars parked in front of the restaurant back in the day. Also the wall was made up of little square white glossy tiles. The tiles were roughly three inches by three inches in their dimensions. In the middle of the wall was a row of red palm trees that went all across the restaurant.  The palm trees were a simple touch, but added a classic feel to the restaurant’s vibe.
            We waited around 5 to 7 minutes until our food was ready and once they called our number I got excited.  I got up, showed them my receipt, and asked for more spread.  I took the food back to our booth and I stared at our food for a minute.  It looked good and smelled great.  I didn’t see anything wrong with my double double and reached out to grab it.  I noticed the cover of my double double wrapper was different than my sister’s cheeseburger wrapper.  On the double double wrapper it had some facts about In ‘N Out and it also had another Bible reference on the back bottom part of the wrapper.  The reference was Nahum 1:7 which says, “The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him” (Nahum 1:7). 
            After I inspected the wrapper, I held my burger in one hand and put some ketchup on with the other hand.  I took my first bite and it was amazing.  All the flavors combine were nothing short of perfect.  I was chewing slowly to capture every taste until the food in my mouth was broken down before I swallowed. I took another bite and it was like I was in heaven.  Then getting a couple fries dipping them in ketchup adds to the amazing essence from the burger.  After those two bites I could not help myself anymore so then I just inhaled the rest of my burger and fries.  All that food made me stuffed but I did not care because it was delicious.  I sipped on my coke and it helped me digest.  In ‘N Out always hits the spot when you are really hungry. 
            In ‘N Out should be compared to fancy gourmet restaurants because of its excellent quality in food and the cleanliness they keep the restaurant in.  It amazes me how cheap the food is because the quality of the meat, bread, and the vegetables are fresh and natural. The architect who came up with the design created a simple, clean, and workable space for the employees and the customers to use. The color white is everywhere, but makes the area look spacious and the contrasted with red does not make it overwhelming. The space in the restaurant made me feel like I was sitting on a cloud eating one of the greatest burgers on the west coast. The customer service was nice and the food was great.  Long live In ‘N Out.  

           











           














Work Citied

"IN-N-OUT Burger." In-N-Out Burger. In-N-Out Burger, 2012. Web. 09 Apr. 2012. <http://www.innout.com/default.asp>.

John. "Bible Gateway." BibleGateway.com: A Searchable Online Bible in over 100 Versions and 50 Languages. Bible Gateway, 1 Jan. 2011. Web. 09 Apr. 2012. <http://www.biblegateway.com/>.

Nahum. "Bible Gateway." BibleGateway.com: A Searchable Online Bible in over 100 Versions and 50 Languages. Bible Gateway, 1 Jan. 2011. Web. 09 Apr. 2012. <http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Nahum 1:7>.

No comments:

Post a Comment